Hey DADA!!!we all missed you like hell ..your brief stint as a commentator in the just concluded(successfully ) world cup didn’t help either...And now when the news of you playing for Pune Warriors splashed across the media, everyone got berserk .I was in my office that time when the announcement was made ..so I couldn’t catch up the hot news in real time..but after sometime when i reached my place and switched on the television ,I was like “huh???”and yes the F-word followed..
But then yes I was really happy and elated..not that I am a big fan of your conventional hitting..or the jabbering that you do after the match..or your constant irritating blink of eye to make sure your lens is right there..no..it is just the very fact that I am a big fan of your heroic deeds all throughout your career..Your passion and the vigour that u brought on the table was inspiring ,not only for cricket players but also for all of us ,belonging to non-cricketing fields. Whatever you displayed on field could be applied to all in his/her respective field. Who can forget the story of Steve Waugh ,then the most dynamic captain ever, to have waited for you when the toss was to happen..Or your NATWEST TROPHY’S FINALS moments when u waved your t-shirt aggressively, proving the world that we are here to stay and we have left far behind our Indian orthodox mentality of bowing down and accepting our defeat with heads down. U indeed showed them that though our GDP is far far less than theirs , we are catching up fast and the days are not far when the reversal will happen .In fact you marked the beginning of the reversal with the t-shirt waving in your fists.
Now my only problem with this entire event is a word that always crops up whenever anything is being said about u..and even now it is staring at you profusely, even more so than before. This word is “SELF RESPECT”...a word which though is abstract in nature but can be more valuable than anything else, if used righteously. I am again sorry to point out Sir that this instance again shows all that you really lack this adjective in your armour. Though your fans are hailing you all over the world, somewhere deep down within they all know that you are not a man of words. I had read a Hindi story where a very apt dialogue happens between a husband and his wife when the wife says “kya thuk-kar bhi koi chat-ta hai?”(Does anyone licks back his own spit). That’s what you have done Sir. You yourself had quoted that you didn’t like the way you were treated in the auction this year when you went unsold and not even Shahrukh showed any interest in you. But then you were yesterday itself offered a role in the team that has lost 6 games on the trot and nothing else to lose, you were quick to lurch on the offer without even thinking much. Were you so eager to play? Or should I say to earn? And yes who can forget that you are what you are because of your home-state and just to be there in the money-minting competition, you have sacrificed your love for your state and have joined another franchisee, and yes that too –as a replacement to Ashish Nehra-the same guy whom you handpicked long back.
These things may seem trivial in reading but trust me they aren’t that mundane considering the image you carry as an ICON. Anyways I wish you all the best for your endeavour and hope you find solace. But remember, you have a lot to prove and I hope you do not succumb to the pressure of performing exorbitantly well-as always...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment